Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bombay, 2:25 PM

Spent all of yesterday gallavanting across town for various social and medical appointments - and the city is going through a major transition. Every single major road has been dug up, hopefully to upgrade the city to an international status. However, this gives the impression that the city is five times as crowded as it was when I left it - or maybe it is. I thought of taking a bus or train just for old time's sake, but I highly doubt that will happen, given the pollutionand mad traffic.

Also had a really cool lunch with the buttlett - we wondered why Indians are so obsessed with weight - I mean, you meet anyone after a long time and the first thing they comment upon is your weight, and then follow it immedeatly with a compliment - e.g, you've lost so much weight - good you're excersising or you've put on - good youre feeding yourself. So I was like nothing's really changed about me so there's not really anything that could follow - and right then my aunty tells me "You're same to same - you've maintained yourself really well". *sigh*

Its like even while I was waiting at the doctors, his staff was indulging in a typical bombay conversation in typical bombay hindi - and I got so nostalgic - god knows when the last time I had that (UDCT maybe?) - all the desis I hang out with in New York are ABCDs or katlicks (catholics) none of whom know any bombay slang - or understand bombay jokes.

Dinner with Kavs was fun - caught up on various things - don't particularly like her boyfriend (although I haven't met him yet) - he dropped out of college - which is the main reason. Apparently he's a nice guy - we'll see tonight when i meet him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home